Handyman Business Startup BlueprintPosted by Crunch Meme December 10, 2018
Here’s the thing, it’s quite simple. If you are able to swing a hammer and love being “Mr. Fix It”, starting your own handyman business could possibly be perfect for you. Starting out, you might get overwhelmed with getting in over your head on projects. In most cases, you do not actually have to do the work yourself. You will start building networks and eventually build a solid team of licensed sub-contractors to provide the service. This way, you could have 10 projects happening at the same time. To get started, the beginning steps in launching your new handy-man business would be to create a complete list of things you can do right now at your house. You would be surprised with how many people don’t even know how to use the basic tools, let alone basic tool names!
- Here's a list of common tasks most people need help with:
- Mounting Pictures on the Wall
- Replacing Batteries in Smoke Detectors
- Cleaning Out Gutters/Roof Drain Pipes
- Setting Up BBQ Grills
- Repairing Yard Fences
- Modular Furniture Assembly
- Changing Air-condition Filters
- Hanging Christmas Lights
- Changing Light Bulbs
- Realigning/Tightening Kitchen Cabinet Drawers and Doors
- Storage Shelving in Closets and Garages
- Door Knob Repairs
- Window Caulking
- Small Drywall Repair
- Tile Grout Repair
- Small Leaks
- Oil Change on Vehicle
- Unclogging Drains
- The List goes on and on
A handyman service is on-demand service business model. It has the potential to be a successful & profitable business only if you can scale it to reach greater heights.
Here is a step-by-step process to start a profitable handyman business:
- An on-demand business like a handyman can be easily managed only with the business model similar to Uber. So get your handyman platform built easily from top turnkey solution providers.
- First, you have to collect the details of handymen from different locations you are planning to operate. As it is on-demand. The handyman should be able to reach within 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Get them classified according to the expertise as a handyman such as plumbing works, common house repairs, etc, on the platform.
- Setup the queries, you would like to ask your customers visiting your  service platform such as -
- Service they want, if they answer plumbing, is it a major leak or minor leak, & further details. So that you can provide the right on-demand service to the customers by connecting with the right handyman.
- Start marketing your handyman service platform on digital channels to get the traction it deserves.
Where to Begin
To get started, the beginning steps in launching your new handy-man business would be to create a complete list of things you can do right now at your house. You would be surprised with how many people don’t even know how to use the basic tools, let alone basic tool names! Every state has sets of limitations on types of jobs performed by handymen. They require the handyman to be licensed, I would recommend doing your homework and check what jobs require a particular license. It is possible that you will know how to perform the most simplest job (whether it being plumbing, electrical, construction, carpentry, etc.). But if you do not have the correct license to perform that task and something goes wrong, you can lose everything. In fact, some States will limit a job performed to a cost of $1,000 - $2,000 without proof of contractors license. There are so many individual’s with some kind of problem around their house that still need assistance. Remember, there are seriously a lot of people who don’t even know how to fix the most simplest thing. An example which happens frequently would be a senior citizen in need of repairing something he can not reach and might not even own a ladder. There are several locations where you can find the most popular/common services currently provided. The internet is FULL of information, take advantage of it. Check out local ads referencing “Home Repairs, House Repairs, Yard Work, Plumbing, Roofing, A/C, etc.”
Start off with a low price per hour, but as you build up a client base - again, if you are good people should call you back - you should be able to charge more as you have more work on.
A Workforce Management System is important which helps you to coordinate a variety of functions at once like different helpers, different customers, different tasks. Time equals money in any business and to be honest, managing the field workforce in this competitive environment can be complicated.